November 2012-Present: Regional Partner EY, Africa Region
Mokgadi Laura Machaba-Abiodun is a Director and Partner at EY (formerly Ernst & Young) Advisory Services. Africa Region Client Coordinating Partner with focus on alliances and advanced data analytics. In this role she drives strategic alliances across key market sectors internally driving market efforts to grow EY business and externally working with clients at C-Suite and Board level to expand into the rest of Africa through Purpose Led Transformation in a way that enhance value for clients and the business.
Engagement Partner for the sub sahara eight chamber of mines in studying the economic contribution in the various economies in which they operate on behalf Mining Industry Association of Southern Africa (MIASA). She sas recently advised the transport cluster at the invitation of Minister Dipuo Peters on Infrastructure Governance for the Transport Cluster involving Transnet; PRASA; Maritime; Aviation; Ports Authority; SANRAL on addressing the imperative around sustainable transport infrastructure that leverages an inclusive economy; that will address the triple threat facing South Africa and the rest of the continent.
One of the most recent contribution was the participation in the Inaugral SMME Policy Colloquim at the invitation of Minister of Small Business Development on the role of SMME in accelerating the growth of the economy with a different narrative focused on execution and leveraging all the key ministries for the SBD agenda and engaged on legislation across sectors; government procurement and set asides; the tax regime and incentives to encourage foreign investors and large business to do business with SMME as well as the importance of ensuring that the products and services are globally competitive. There were 9 Commissions (C9) that had representatives from the four organ of states including portfolio committee chairs; professional bodies including (SAICA; SAIPA; SAIBA; BBC; BMF; BUSA, NAFCOC; other Chambers of Commerce) came up with resolutions that were later debated and passed100% unanimously. The themes were consistent with our EY Strategic Growth Forum themes of realizing the possibilities: addressed Shared Value (this time for Black/Township Economy; Entrepreneurship; Intergovernmental /Regional Coordination; Infrastructure Development and Youth’s Role in the economy. D. THE inaugural National SMME Policy Colloquium:
Mokgadi has strategized, directed moderated a SADC Presidential Women Leadership Summit for Southern Africa Mbeki’s Term. This was set up in an Oprah format with protégés that were students reading for PhD with focus in addressing the triple threat. We reframed poverty alleviation to poverty eradication during the session working in conjunction with the AU and United Nations.
Advises chief executive officers and chairman of companies to ensure they have the leaders they need now and for the future to unlock value and accelerate growth. She focuses on the enhancement of non-executive and executive leadership performance and reflects her broad experience as a global director in a variety of industries ranging from energy, aviation, hi-tech manufacturing, financial services, FMCG, technology, media and telecommunication (TMT), public sector and non-governmental organizations (NGO).
AVUSA LIMITED 2007-2012 (Board Member, Chairman: RemCo, HR Transformation & Social and Ethics Committee, Audit Committee Member, Nominations Committee Member, Chairman: Argus Voting Trust)
Laura is an engaging board member and as a result has been trusted with strategic project for the board of directors that need leadership that she has provided without fail for the last 5 years:
Chaired the Board Search Committee of the CEO, successfully led the search and selection of the previous chairman who just completed his 3 year term as well as managed the his onboarding and the offboarding of the incumbent chairman at the time balancing the technical and strategic human nuances of the transition
Effectively partnered with internal and external stakeholders and led process of appointing four independent directors that led to saving the board close to R1million in search cost, and ensured that the appointees were in line with the prioritised needs.
Conduct a few special assignments like shareholder and analysts visits and addressing board related questions from the broader stakeholders as assigned by the chairman of the board
As chair of RemCo ensure that there is balanced view on reward, retention, regulatory landscape as well as the supporting policy and guidance for the executives and engagement with the shareholders
Ensuring appropriate attention to succession of the board and the top executives and rigor in the review of increases and incentive.
Chairman of ARGUS VOTING TRUST 2010-2012: successfully saw the transition of the Trust set up in 1937 to investment in an Unit Trust that grew the investment and facilitated for more funds available to support the beneficiaries in the mission of continuing editorial and media independence.
SARS 2008- 2012: Laura has served on the Human Resource Committee since 2008 as well as the Remuneration committee.
SALGA 2010-Present: Panel member on performance management and remuneration for the South African Local Government Authority help the chief executives and executive committee align its performance to the COGTA goals.
PROVINCIAL PREMIER ICT ADVISORY MEMBER (NW) 2009-Present advisor to the premier on provincial information, communication and technology and linkage to the national agenda, ensuring leveraging broadband to enhance job creation.
INSTITUTE OF DIRECTORS SOUTHERN AFRICA (IoDSA) 2009-2011 Served as council member of the IoDSA and was also appointed to chair the CEO Search.
AMC International Group (Founder and Solopreneur, Johannesburg, RSA)
- Manage strategic alliances in delivering value to shareholders, customers, employees and community.
- Designed and implemented creating social relevance for executive team at SBSA with a leading US custom executive education provider
- Facilitated Kellogg REAP Session for South Africa Deputy President and Zimbabwe Vice President on Eradicating poverty
- Designed a framework and work plan for Leadership Academy review for Kellogg
- Conducted AED / AIR Plough-back deep-dive on leadership
- Design, Consult, facilitate and advise Kellogg Foundation Executive Leadership Program for SADC Senior Policy Makers on poverty alleviation and creating empowerment strategy.
- Coach and mentor executives in the private and public sector in building organizational and individual capability
- Facilitate strategic sessions for several government organizations and executive committees across industries with a focus on building organizational and individual capability
- Invested in an Audit and Accounting Consulting Firm Protect A Partner where still hold 45% shareholdership in the process of unbundling – since 2007.
A. Alexander Forbes Equity Holdings Group (Group Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO) Interim & Strategic Advisor July 2010-December 2011)
- Focused on getting the basics right in the global HR Group, Executive Committee and support for the board. Led the development of the Leadership Brand with complementary competencies against which all the top 50 leaders were assessed, developed and coached with performance feedback
- Effected a turnaround of the HR Leadership team and the division from being tactical to becoming strategic advisor. Identified what they did well and reassigned people based on strength, identified areas of development and put development plans to close gaps.
- Appointed and HR Executive to lead the team after designing the profile to match what the team and the business requires.
- Led a collaborative process for the SERVE Model which is now a corporate calling card on why the business exist, what they strive for, how they deliver value and what they want to be known for. This led to a common purpose for the disparate businesses which have found a reason to collaborate instead of competing as the create and protect wealth.
- Alexander Forbes has now listed with JSE and has successfully realized 2014 BHAG and beyond.
B. Solectron Corporation (Americas Region): (Regional Manager, Executive & Organisation Development):
- Participated in all strategic and operational leadership group meetings, provided insight and ensured organisational integration of the Group’s vision and management implementation plans. This process generated an operating budget of $1.5 million by leveraging three regions’ agendas.
- Managed the alignment of organizational and individual capabilities in attaining corporate business objectives throughout North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia.
C. United Airlines (World Headquarters): (Organisational Development Consultant)
- Led large system change efforts within an employee-owned, 95,000-person corporation.
- Focused on organisation re-design, continuous performance improvement and leadership development within the context of corporate strategic initiatives.
- Designed tools and training programs to drive behaviour changes, improve performance and increase accountability resulting in the clarity of roles, and responsibility and eliminating redundancies.
D. Third World Conference Foundation (Director, Social & Economic Development for Southern Africa)
- Assisted with identifying opportunities and arranging for senior level introductions among business and government leadership globally to drive development objectives.
- Led and worked as part of a team in preparing RFP's, Statements of Work (SOW's), and Letters of Engagement (LOE's); applied basic sales principles such as lead generation, qualification, presentation, proposal development, contract negotiation and closure.
E. 1995 Adjunct Professor: DeVry Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois, USA
F. 1996 Adjunct Professor: Rosary College (Now Dominican University) River Forest, Illinois USA
KEY NOTE ADDRESSES AND STRATEGIC DIALOGUES:
1993 in Chicago Illinois, USA: What Legacy Are you Building and What Legacy Are you Leaving Behind:
Marquis Hyatt Regency Hotel for 5000 Professional Participants from North America (USA, Canada) and South America.
1993 Sub Sahara Africa Conferece: MonaLisa - What is Behind the Mask for 2000 participants from throughout Sub – Sahara Africa
1995 Washington Leadership Centre & South Africa Embassy: US-SA Business Council: Integrating the Majority into the Main Stream of the Economy in South Africa
2004 Charlotte, NC USA Faces of Leadership: The Browning of America Leadership Summit
2005 August Womens’ Day Investec Bank – Leading from the Heart – Key note speaker Investec Womens Day
2007 March: Leveraging Leadership to Eradicate PovertyPresidential address and facilitation for 30 participants for former Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka (South Africa), Vice President Joyce Mujuru (Zimbabwe) per conference call Prime Minister Luisa Diogo (Mozambique)
2013 August: Key Note Speaker at University of the North West / CHIETA Graduation and Second Chance Foundation Graduation